Monday, July 20, 2015

So THAT Happened...

Because of the interesting world of instant access to info, you, dear reader, were more likely to have learned about the decision of Kindle Press to pass over Allies and Enemies: Fallen for the Kindle Scout program before I. Good thing it wasn't something life-threatening and/or embarrassing. Right? (That's OK. I know you've got my back and would have found a way to send carrier pigeon or fleet-footed messenger to get me the news.)

I have learned a great deal through this experience with Kindle Scout. Here are a few things that I've learned or have happened during this experience:

  • I'm not cut out for this whole begging to be published by some other entity and forfeit a substantial amount of control over my book thing. I should have followed my gut and continued down the path of self-publishing as an ebook. 
  • I met some pretty nice professional writers that have offered some useful advice and support. Who knows? Maybe some of them will even stick around.
  • I've been in two musicals (with NO singing talent), given presentations in front of entire corporations, delivered two commencement addresses and do battle with the angel of death on occasion in the course of my "real" job. BUT, I am a nervous gibbering wreck about reading from my work in public.
  • I have WAY more people in my corner than I'd ever thought possible.
  • Vermont has a fairly respectable contingent of fellow geeks.
  • I signed my first autograph. (Hopefully, it won't be my last.)
So, what's next? Next, I publish this book myself. Then finish writing the second one, find a way to pay my editor. Lather. Rinse. Repeat. Well... you get the idea.

But all of this would not have been possible without you! Thank you so much for your support in the temporary insanity of the Kindle Scout campaign. Keep on checking out those listings on Amazon. There are some great writers in there and they deserve your support. Continue to vote for them.

And, if you're ever in the mood to do a review of my books, I'm happy to set you up with an advance reader copy.